Thursday, June 12, 2008

Will's first Astros Game

I know you're probably thinking "shame on you" for just now getting Will to a baseball game. As much as I love baseball, and I do:), taking a baby or toddler to a major league ball park has always sounded pretty daunting. There is probably a reason they don't charge for children under 2! If you're brave enough to try it, then you deserve one free ticket:) Well, we tried it today, and all in all it was great. My dad LOVES baseball, so it was a treat just for him to get to take all of us, especially his new catch partner. The kids were immediately attracted to one of the many giant sized baseballs outlining the park. In fact, it was hard to get Will to quit playing on them and get him inside. Will was thrilled with the view, although I'm pretty sure he had no idea what it was he was watching :) Will was most impressed by the train that moves about 100 yards every time an Astro hits a homerun. Fortunately for Will, there were two during this game. When the train stopped moving Will said, "More train, more train!" I think most fans wanted "more train" as well. His excitement only lasted two innings, however, before he lost interest in whatever was going on way down below. So, I left my parents to enjoy the game and took the kids to "Squeeze Play". It's this giant playground that's about 3 stories tall and 2 stories deep. It's completely enclosed so that the kids can't climb up and fall out. However, I was pretty sure that if there was an opening, then Will would find it and attempt to jump off. Parents are discouraged from going into the structure. Not that I was tempted, but I was concerned that I might not ever see my kids again once they entered the place.
I did see Will once
And once more when I happened to catch him coming down the slide. He and Mallory were both dripping in sweat and looking ready to go, although Will's kicking and screaming might have given a different impression. By the time we left the play place the game only had one inning left and it wasn't a good one...sorry 'stros...Will left still wanting "more choo choo". Didn't we all? :)

2 comments:

brandon_and_leah_sparks said...

Awwww - so cute! He is such a "pretty" little boy - is that an ok thing to say about boys? He's cute anyway! I'm glad y'all had fun!

M. W. Bassford said...

I've only been to the new park once, but I, too, was enthralled with the home run train ... :)